A brief history of the Chesham Moor swimming pool
The first written reference to swimming on the moor was in 1898.
In 1912 the first swimming pool was erected and in 1933 it had a facelift which included improvements to the pool and its surroundings such as changing cubicles.
In 1964 the whole building was reconstructed and the pool was made deeper and on completion, re-opened by Councillor Bill Moulder who, in 1912 had been one of the first to swim in the original pool.
1974 saw the pool run by Chiltern District Council. When Chesham Leisure Centre was built, it was originally intended that the open air pool would close. However a volunteer organisation was formed to protect this historical community resource from closure.
1989 saw a refurbishment take place under the newly appointed Chess Valley Sports and Leisure Association (CVSLA) and user numbers steadily increased until demands dictated new plans for the building's expansion. A lottery grant was obtained and building work started in 1996 and took a year to complete allowing a grand opening in 1997.
After many successful years of voluntary service, the CVSLA commitee handed the centre back to Chesham Town Council, work closely with the Centre Manager to provide a welcoming environment.